Thursday, March 19, 2009

When was nonbu really?

Most of us Indians that live here have this practice of celebrating Indian festivals right on the same date as it is celebrated in India. In reality, the actual date of the festival is determined based on the position of the moon and it varies every year. It never occurred to me until my husband's cousin told us that. Now, that I think of it, when you are in a different geographic location the position of moon does differ and that would mean the auspicious time to celebrate a certain festival might not be the same date and time as it is in India.

This year karadaiyan nonbu happened to fall on Friday for us in USA but most people observed it on Saturday. I don't know if I'm very pious but I do like to observe the religious stuff at the right time, so at the beginning of this year, I went ahead and purchased the calender from the Livermore temple and use it to determine when to celebrate or perform all the religious rituals.

As I'm writing this I just realized that my mother-in-law had actually looked up the right day for the nonbu here and told me the correct date right at the first go :). That's really awesome that she made sure she gave me the right date.

Anyways, if you do care about doing things at the right time it might just be a good idea to either refer to the temple's calendar or purchase a calendar.

2 comments:

Vidhya said...

it was on saturday between 12.30 to 1.30 and i also checked with the temple gurukkal

Radioactive Android said...

The difference arises based on the panchangam that's being used as 13th happens to be the last day of masi and 14th is the first day of panguni. It really depends on whether your calculations only take the departure of moon into account or arrival of the moon.
Besides that in my case both days are fine as I can pick between iyer or iyengar days and methods of worship :)