Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dasavathaaram: A big let down

Last weekend was kind of disappointing for me for a variety of reasons and one of them was having to sit through Dasavathaaram.
First of all, I am not a big fan of Kamal Hassan but I still decided to watch this movie because of all the hype. Even though my gut told me that this movie would be bad, I still gave in to the curiosity. Finally, there I was on Friday watching this movie.
I won't be going over the plot, I am only going to discuss the most atrocious aspects of the movie. After watching the movie, I can confidently say that Kamal played the ten different characters only for the sake of setting a record that no one else cares about. I understand that most of the money was spent on makeup, that looked terrible. I honestly cannot understand how Kamal or K.S.Ravi Kumar watched this movie and decided to release it.
Like the makeup wasn't enough to screw the movie, every single stunt was copied over from some other Hollywood movie. I could give them the benefit of doubt if it was just one stunt or two that resembled a hollywood movie but instead every single one was copied.
Considering the fact that Terminator is one of my favorite movies, I can never forgive Kamal Hassan trying to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger!!! (I should admit that it's not too bad when compared to Vijayakanth trying to look like Keanu Reeves in Arasangam)!!
Out of the 10 characters, about 8 of them ranged from below average to annoying and unnecessary. The Avtar singh character was a total waste of time and fact that he gets cured in the end reminded me of an old Muthuraman movie in which the doctor dies after saving Muthuraman (Which is total BS).
The 95 year old granny was the most disturbing and I am fairly certain that watching this character might just be a reason enough to have nightmares. This was by far the worst makeup I've ever seen in my life.
By now, you could see that I've already endured quite a bit of stuff here and on top that they have this Asin's character and every time she spoke my only visceral reaction was that I wanted to slap her so she would never speak.
I still don't understand why they made a big deal with referring to the common salt as NaCl and how no one calls it common salt. If they really thought that it would be a suspense until Kamal reveals it at the end it really wasn't. There was no suspense, everything was so predictable except for K.S.Ravi Kumars' dancing at the end! I was lost for words when I saw him dance at the end. Did he really have to put us through that??
Amidst all this annoyance, it was the Balram Naidu's character that shined. It was probably the only character that was worth watching in the entire movie. The interrogation scene was the only piece of the movie that's worth watching.
So finally was it satisfactory? No way.
was it gruesome? Completely so.
What did I get out of watching the movie: Migraine headache.

1 comment:

PR said...

And 15$ per ticket for sitting through this!