Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Something's cooking!

I'm a South-Indian vegetarian that only knows how to cook south indian food. I don't know much about north indian cuisine. But, anyways I wanted to make some curry that I can have with roti and I was searching for recipes online and I found this Potato in Yogurt gravy recipe video. I was just wondering who in the world had all the time to make a video and post it.
Anyways, I decided to try the recipe.

When I was in the process of trying the recipe (actually watching the video), I realized how very nice it was for someone to upload the video. Watching the video eliminates any doubt regarding the actual quantity of the ingredients used. When they mention table spoon or cup you really get to see what kind of spoon or other utensil that they use for measuring. I know that a cup signifies 240ml or 8oz but I've noticed that in most Indian recipes people somehow have it wrong. I once read a recipe in which the cook had specified 1 cup of chillies for making rasam (south indian dish), I couldn't even bring myself to imagine eating a dish that has 1 cup of chillies!!! It's plainly brutal!

So, anyway the video was pretty good because unlike some other recipe blogs the person clearly tells at what heat you're supposed to cook and how long, most others miss this info and they let us use our judgment to decide. The video was about 8 mins long and the making the dish took me about 10 minutes in all. I was very happy the way it turned out (the most important reason, why I even thought of writing one such post).

So, I guess it is a lot more helpful when the person posts the recipe or the procedure to make a certain dish in the video format as opposed to just writing a few lines and just posting a pic of the end product. I'm in no way suggesting that everyone that posts their recipe online should do this, instead I'm just suggesting that it might be better to do it this way.

Here's the video for Potato Curry with Yogurt Gravy

1 comment:

PR said...

I also wanting to try it ya.