Monday, February 11, 2008

Where we would be...

I was listening to Porcupine Tree's 'Where we would be' track from the album Lightbulb Sun. This isn't the best song in the album or for that matter even one of the top 5 songs but I still like it because of the mellow tone and beautiful lyrics. The song is basically about how we don't become the person that we dreamt of becoming when we were young. Every time I listen to this song I have this bittersweet longing to go back in time and continue to dream of how I thought my life would shape up when I grew up.

I'm sure most of us have envisioned ourselves of becoming something like either our favorite celebrity or athlete or musician or a bunch of other things!! For me it was becoming a lawyer, being the 10-13 yr old that I was at that time, I thought it was a lot cooler to be a lawyer. My dad went to law school as a part time student at that time because he was passionate about studying law. I was interested right from the time he started preparing for the entrance exam to get into a law school until the day he graduated out of law school.

The things that interested me the most about studying law and practicing it was the subtlety, the requirement for logical reasoning and a whole lot of emotional detachment. It's quite fascinating to zero-in on some extremely vital information that others couldn't find or ignored. Your skills of reasoning get tested every single day with every single case you see or deal with. I shall NOT go into detail about the reasoning skills as that tends to annoy most people. But, I like the emotional detachment aspect, wherein you really truly need to be disinterested and hold no bias no matter what. It's human nature to look back in time and make decision based on our own personal experience or from what we've heard and seen but it's really a unique ability to be under control and not let your own bias interfere with your judgment. The ability to be strong enough and just interpret the book and not throw your 2 cents in, is something I always wanted to do.

Though, as I grew up I did become something or someone different from what I wanted to be...but the things that I mentioned as interesting do interest me until today which kinda makes me want to go back in time whenever I listen to this song and just build on that dream every now and then :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had you become a lawyer, you would have excelled in that profession. Infact, i wanted to become a technical person, but that did not happen. But, you are fortunate enough to become a technical person. Let the profession be anything one can shine, if one has interest and involvement in his/her job.